No, you should not feed grapes to dogs. Grapes are poisonous to all dog breeds, and you should avoid feeding your dog grapes or raisins.

Dog lovers must be aware of the harmful foods for their pets. It might come down to life and death. Because some meals can result in severe damage or even death, dog owners should be exceedingly cautious before giving their pets anything.

In some cases, even a tiny intake of grapes can result in kidney failure, sometimes resulting in death. Grapes and raisins should never be given to your dog because they have the potential to hurt them severely.

Different dogs may react differently to grapes and raisins. Scientists are still performing experiments to completely understand the causes of these various reactions.

Table of Contents

Why Are Grapes Poisonous To Your Dog?

Mycotoxin, a poisonous by-product of mold or fungi, is present in grapes, according to researchers, which is one of the reasons grapes are poisonous to all breeds of dogs.

Some believe that a salicylate medication, compare to aspirin, is naturally present in grapes, reducing blood flow to the kidneys.

One theory is that the toxins are in the grape skin because grapeseed oil is considered safe. Grapes are poisonous, even when peeled and unpeeled, and should not be given to dogs because all of these are just generalizations that have no proof to be true or false.

Although there is no conclusive reason why grapes are poisonous to dogs, it is still harmful to dogs. Also, even though tests for pesticides, poisons, and metals in kidney-damaging grapes have yielded negative results, you should not give grapes to your pet.

Is There a Safe Amount of Grapes My Dog Can Consume?

The lowest confirmed dosage established links toxicity to the consumption of grapes is 0.32 to 0.65 ounces per kilogram of canine weight.

See also
How To Make Your Dog Comfortable During Winter

Because of this, it is essential to keep an eye on any pets who may have consumed grapes. Owners must know what to look for to detect issues.

My Dog Has Consumed Grapes. What Should I Watch Out For?

After consuming grapes or raisins, symptoms may appear immediately or days later. Vomiting is a common early symptom of grape poisoning and usually begins within an hour or two.

Dogs may also have diarrhea, exhaustion, and increased thirst for over three to four hours. Other red flags are lack of appetite or energy, stomach pain, and trembling.

Even if your dog has consumed grapes in the past with no problems, it is still not advisable. It would help if you considered yourself lucky your dog did not suffer any adverse reaction.

No matter how much they eat, grapes are poisonous. Negative reactions can still occur the next time they consume grapes. The danger is not worth it. You can never give a dog a safe amount of grapes.

See also
Dehydration In Dogs - Causes And Prevention Of Dehydration

How Can I Treat My Dog For Grape Poisoning?

In the first two days, giving the dog water to promote urine may prevent acute renal failure. The severity of the illness increases the longer it takes a dog to effectively eliminate the toxin from its body.

The veterinarian should perform blood tests for three days following grape consumption. Also, they should carefully monitor the enzymes in the kidney for indications of organ failure.

You may save your pet from renal failure with medicine or dialysis. The chances of recovery are generally good when the kidneys continue to perform their critical duties and therapy is administered soon.

The likelihood of recovery is slim if kidney issues progress to the point where an animal cannot process and excrete poisons.

However, you must consult a vet as soon as your dog ingests grapes to avoid the poisonous Mycotoxin, a potentially fatal situation.

Five Fruits And Vegetables That Are Harmful To Your Pet

are grapes poisonous
bananas are good for dogs – image by karsten winegeart from unsplash


Dogs cannot digest nuts the same way people can, and many varieties, especially macadamia nuts, are harmful to them. Even those that aren’t harmful are difficult to digest and can harm your pet’s health in other ways.

See also
Why Is My Dog Making Me Miserable?

Always keeping nuts out of reach is the best piece of advice. Walnuts, pecan nuts, and macadamia nuts are particularly harmful. Remember that nut butter is high in salt and fat, which are hazardous for your dog’s health.

Onions And Garlic

Garlic can be beneficial for your dog when consumed in moderation. Still, suppose your dog consumes excessive amounts of it, along with onions or chives. In that case, it can also be detrimental and damage their red blood cells. Whether raw, cooked, or dried, be sure not to give your dog any of these prohibited foods.


Not necessarily something you’ll find in significant quantities lying around your house, but something to be cautious of. Make sure your dog doesn’t consume any nutmeg because it contains myristicin. It can induce tremors, seizures, and even death in dogs in more significant doses than those in cakes.


Like grapes, avocados can also be poisonous to dogs. Although there is some controversy about dogs consuming avocados, you should avoid offering your pet any portion of this fruit.

See also
Why Do Dog Owners In America Leave Their Dogs Indoors?

Avocados contain a toxin called persin in quantities that are safe for humans but can give your pet breathing difficulties, vomiting, and diarrhea.


Rhubarb is another frequently cultivated homegrown fruit that can harm dogs—particularly the leaves. They can damage the kidneys, digestive system, and nervous system.

Don’t let your dog get into your vegetable patch or rhubarb crumble since symptoms include tremors, convulsions, and heart problems. The moment you suspect rhubarb poisoning, call your veterinarian.

Previous articleCan Dogs Eat Apples? – Top 10 Fruits that your dog can eat
Next articleI Don’t Know My Dog’s Age – Calculate Dog Age In Human Age


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here